Sunday, August 11, 2013

Why I Lead #SAVMP

Why do I lead? My experiences in public education over the past ten years have lead me to discover the answer to this question. I have had the opportunity to work in a variety of school settings in different roles. The daily changes that substitute teaching brought was a welcomed challenge. As a high school math teacher I was fortunate to work with a great group of educators, students, and parents. My first few years teaching taught me a tremendous amount about myself, while offering me an amazing sense of reward.  My adventures in administration have by far given me my toughest issues, yet have also helped me to uncover my true calling in education, to lead.

About three years into my teaching career a colleague was beginning an administrative program and asked me to join her. Initially I was more excited about the intellectual conversations that I knew would happen as I pursued a master's degree, but somewhere in the process I began understanding why I was there. My experiences left me with a strong sense of responsibility and passion that inspires me to lead. I believe that every child deserves an education and opportunities that will allow them to achieve their potential, dreams, and leave their mark on the world. 

As a math teacher I was able to build relationships with students and colleagues that were very fulfilling, but as I studied leadership and education reform my dreams grew and I felt a need to expand my influence. When I see the impact that people like Daniel Levin and Mike Feinberg have made on students' lives through the creation of the KIPP Foundation, I feel empowered and responsible to make my own contribution to education.  

I lead because I was born to do this. 
I lead to make my mark on education. 
I lead because I have been blessed with opportunities that allow me to contribute.
I lead because I believe in the power of education.   

No comments:

Post a Comment